The Guildhall in Priory Park is the chancel of the Church of a Franciscan Friary which was established in the mid thirteenth century. The Friary was dissolved in 1538 as part of the campaign by Henry VIII against religious houses and the site given to the Mayor and citizens of Chichester. In 1541 the King sold the Friary Church to the City and it began a new life as the Chichester Guildhall. It was used for a variety of purposes, including trials. In 1806 William Blake was tried here for treason but found not guilty. It is now forms part of the Chichester District Museum.
||Find events at this venue